lbo-talk-digest V1 #3370

JKSCHW at aol.com JKSCHW at aol.com
Thu Sep 21 12:53:59 PDT 2000

It's hard to imagine how young asst profs can estimate their bargaining power and chances for upward mobility very highly at all. I certainly didn't, and boy was I right!

An encouraging anecdote on these lines. Yesterday I overheard two very physiciany doctors on the Metra, the suburban transit line I take to and from work, discussing various things including, quite positively, their union contracts. --jks

In a message dated Thu, 21 Sep 2000 10:41:28 AM Eastern Daylight Time, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> writes:

<< JKSCHW at aol.com wrote:

>Yeah, I used to try to argue this line with professors, with about the same
>results. Raises the eternal questionof the left, why do so many people so
>vehemently reject what is so obviously in their own self interest? --jks

For one, they overestimate their own bargaining power and possibilities for upward mobility. For two, unions are for vulgar workers, not for distinguished professionals!

Doug