Exorcist

C. G. Estabrook galliher at alexia.lis.uiuc.edu
Thu Sep 21 09:56:26 PDT 2000

On Wed, 20 Sep 2000 JKSCHW at aol.com wrote:

> ... However, demonic possession is over the top. That's just too
> silly. I don't understand how any sensible person could take that
> seriously.

Without believing in an invisible Miltonian world, one can still regard thoughts about the demonic as an attempt to deal with an uncomfortable fact: there's more wrong with the world than private malice accounts for. (If that weren't so, we could simply identify the malicious people and shoot them. But that's been tried without notable success.)

C. G. Estabrook