geeks

Daniel Davies d_squared_2002 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Sep 21 08:32:52 PDT 2000

--- JKSCHW at aol.com wrote: > OK, OK, the Foucauldian > analysis about the utility
> of credentials for personnel depts

It ain't Foucauldian analysis, or if it is, it ain't *just* Foucauldian analysis. I learned this stuff back in undergraduate PPE, then again in business school under the name of "signalling theory". It's one of the first things that game theory was applied to. Ask yer man Posner; I'm sure that this sort of thing has made it into the L'n'E literature by now.

> training. For example, in your first year and a half
> of law school, they really do teach you stuff you
> need to know, and which it would be a pain to have
> to learn on the job--more for your boss than for
> you, although of course that is the way it used to
> be done.

But that's massively the exception rather than the rule. In terms of commercial careers where beginning graduates use material they learned at college, I can't think of any others.

dd