FWD: [CrashList] debating the World Bank

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Sep 21 08:19:05 PDT 2000

James Farmelant quoted:

Collapse? Challenges to the consensus have been ruled out of order, even from more or less within the high bourgeois paradigm.

>Mine Aysen Doyran wrote:
>* This piece has emerged on the _International Political Economy_
>listserv today, and originally appeared in the _Nation_ magazine,
>where the author of the article presents an overly positive view of
>the former chief economists of the World Bank, Stiglitz and Kanbur,

Kanbur wasn't the chief economist; he was an outside consultant. Not to nitpick or anything.

>and praise them for being "humane reformers who sincerely care about
>the world's poor".

They are. They're not revolutionaries, but they're humane social democrats who would like little more than to see the world's poor made less poor. She can lecture all she likes about how that's impossible under capitalism, but as a description of what these two men want to see, it's thoroughly accurate.

> I am posting the article as an evidence of the left
>liberal position on international affairs and "humanist imperialism"
>of the World Bank. This is evidently a pro-system journalism, so I am
>telling _in advance_ to avoid another _Business Week_ friction. Since
>this is the trendy position among the left in the US today, It is
>always important to be updated about their views.

God, she is such an idiot. It's "pro-system journalism" to point out that even nonradical reformers are purged by that system?

Doug