Interest Rate on the National Debt

Brad DeLong delong at econ.Berkeley.EDU
Thu Sep 21 20:21:11 PDT 2000

>A request for information, or a link to the information.
>
>I recall hearing a while back that the Clinton administration
>was calling old 30-year, 15% yield bonds that the Reagan
>administration had issed back in the 1980's. They were being
>replaced with fresh debt, which consisted of 6% yield bonds.
>
>Does anybody know where I can find the rate structure of
>the national debt?
>

>Thanks,
>
>Barry

I don't think we can call them. I think we have to buy them back at a pretty ferocious premium over face value, which I think we have been doing...

Brad DeLong -- J. Bradford DeLong Professor of Economics, U.C. Berkeley 601 Evans Hall, #3880 Berkeley, CA 94720-3880 (510) 643-4027 voice (510) 642-6615 fax http://www.j-bradford-delong.net/ delong at econ.berkeley.edu