retheorizing the toilet

Rob Schaap rws at comedu.canberra.edu.au
Thu Sep 21 21:45:54 PDT 2000

G'day Doug,

>It's always interesting to note what people don't want to talk about.

There are useful things to be said about toilets - like just how much clean water we use to flush each nugget to comfortable invisibility, f'rinstance - but I'm with Chris, this lot don't sound like they're gonna be anywhere near that useful. Toilet talk should be done for free on lists like this.

So, Doug, what's your take on that ledge in the average Dutch toilet bowl - y'know, the one where the health-conscious Dutchman can poke and prod at his product in search of worms and the like, before it's shot off the ledge by way of a lateral flush? Why don't the Anglo-Saxons go for it? And, anyway, if Angle and Saxon are names for European tribes, were the Dutch Angles or Saxons, too? If so, what in history, turned the British variant into such poo-avoiders?

Cheers, Rob.