Exorcist

JKSCHW at aol.com JKSCHW at aol.com
Fri Sep 22 21:07:47 PDT 2000

In a message dated 9/23/00 12:03:10 AM Eastern Daylight Time, kenneth.mackendrick at utoronto.ca writes:

>> Well, obviously Catholicism is not a "pseudoscience" because it does not

pretend to be a science.

>Actually, that's false. Theology *is* the science of faith and God. That's what

theologians do. For those who accept the presuppositions, the rest is downright

positivistic. Check out anything by Donald Wiebe - who has spent his entire

career providing a powerful critique of theologians who stray from the path of

science.

This is a merely semantic claim. You mean "systematic knowledge" by science, an old definition' I mean the sort of mathetmatically based empirical investigation into nature that most people today understand by science. Theologians do not send up Hubble telescopes to find God and determine His properties.

> >although most people are not interested in their work. --jks

> Last time I checked, the American Academy of Religion and the Society for

Biblical Literature were enjoying a rather healthy membership...

Yeah, well, just because some thosands of people do this stuff doesn't mean that "most" people are remotely interested, as you know.

--jks