Exorcist

Lisa & Ian Murray seamus at accessone.com
Fri Sep 22 23:28:03 PDT 2000

That's the least of it. QM is so bizarre that it is really hard to wrap your head around what is supposed to be going on at the quantum level even if you can derive the theorems and confirm your results by observations. That is why Bohr's "Copenhagen interpretation," an antirealist metatheory of QM, has a lot of plausibility. Reality may not only be queerer than we suppose, as J.D. Bernal (a Marxist) once said, it may be queerer than we _can_ suppose. QM is the main instance of that. I don'ts ee why science has to presuppose that the world is intelligible to our finite understandings and imaginations, just that there is order there that we can find by empirical investigation.

Physicist Robert Dicke called it so bizarre "that it shouldn't even be considered a mechanics at all." [prayin' you don't ask me to dig through the piles for the source][mechanics is a metaphor, perhaps.....]

Ian