geeks

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 23 10:34:08 PDT 2000

>On Sat, 23 Sep 2000, Carl Remick wrote:
>
> > And getting even worse. Whoop-de-doo, I can wear chinos and a
>sportshirt in
> > the office now but had to wear a suit and tie 20 years ago. Of course,
>20
> > years ago I wasn't expected to work til 3 a.m. or all weekend because of
> > "urgent" project work. This trade-off doesn't seem to bother the
>younger
> > people I work with (I'm 50) at all. To me, they seem like the most
>deluded
> > generation in history.
>
>Well, so find another job.

In my field, generating corporate blather, one job is much like another. But I'm not registering a personal complaint here. I'm making a point about how office workplace attitudes have changed in general over my working years. Judging from clients and co-workers, I believe that people these days internalize their employer's goals to a *much* greater extent than they did a couple of decades ago, even when they gain relatively trivial benefits in return. Most office workers who think of themselves as savvy players are just regular-army clowns.