Geeks

Barry Rene DeCicco bdecicco at umich.edu
Sat Sep 23 12:12:35 PDT 2000

Matt:

>Take something simple like dress code. I work for an ancient
>manufacturing company. Very "old school", powerful old men in expensive
>dark suits running things, etc. Two years ago they instituted a new
dress
>code, business casual all year. Do you think this had anything to do
with
>losing sales talent to competitors without dress codes? Of course not,
>this is hackerdom breaking the rules, and the company changing the rules.
>A simple example of course, but it illustrates how the world is changing
>in subtle ways.

Matt, do you have anything to back up that claim?

When I was a Ford, the two plants that I worked at, outside of Dearborn, had been business casual for years. Then Ford went business casual. It certainly wasn't those two plants exerting control over company policy, and I never heard anything in the rumor mill to connect this with hackers.

You do seem to have a 'hacker-centric' view of the world, which is reasonable (most people do seem to put themselves at the center of their worldview). But please don't expect us to take your assertions for granted.

Barry