Political Anthems

Nathan@Newman nathan at newman.org
Sun Sep 24 09:57:13 PDT 2000

[BTW I was up at the UMass Marxism conference yesterday, which was quite good, and got to see Doug give a bravo performance as a last-minute standin for Mike Davis at the Saturday night plenary, sharing the stage with Angela Davis. As the chair of the plenary noted, imagine what he could have done with some preparation time. ]

Just interested in starting a thread on folks' favorite political anthems, songs with a tough political edge. Partly my interest is my newfound diving into Napster-style music surfing, so I'm going to try to put together a nice playlist of left political songs. So what are your favorites.

Just to kick off a few myself, I've always like Phil Ochs' I AIN"T A MARCHING ANYMORE but just listened to HERE"S TO THE PEOPLE OF MISSISSIPPI, one of the most brilliant and brutal political screeds ever sung in my opinion. I'd throw in Bill Bragg's WAITING FOR THE GREAT LEAP FORWARD and his version of the INTERNATIONALE. Joni Mitchell's PAVED OVER PARADISE is one of the best environmental songs, while Aretha's R-E-S-P-E-C-T is an anthem unto itself.

So....?

-- Nathan Newman