Request for Source on Upcoming Book

JKSCHW at aol.com JKSCHW at aol.com
Sun Sep 24 18:50:21 PDT 2000

In a message dated 9/24/00 7:48:38 PM Eastern Daylight Time, bdecicco at umich.edu writes:

<< Somebody posted something referring to an upcoming

book which makes some charges against Jim Neel,

a University of Michigan genetics professor.

It claimed that he deliberately infected

some Yanamamo (sp?) indians in S. America

with measles, staged fights which lead to real

fights, etc. >>

I believe I read Neel's obit recently. I would be happy to know of anything that discredited him, if it were reliable. He was an old political opponent. In 1984, I was a co-coordinator of a ballot initiative to make Ann Arbor a nuclear weapons free zone with teeth: the law provided for fines and I think jail time for doing classified nuclear weapons research. The opposition hired a PR firm and ballt initiative killer, dumped a quarter million dollars on us, and defeated us, although our 33% final tally was respectable given the fact thad we had only $12,000 to spend (paid all of it back, too!). Neel was a spokesman for the opposition, defending the right to do classified nuclear weapons research on free speech and academic freedom grounds. See if that makes any sense to you. --jks