geeks

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Mon Sep 25 10:53:39 PDT 2000

>Well, BigCeegar.com doesn't have jack-botted thugs kicking in doors
>(yet...).

honeybunch, think: pinkerton. think: the alarming rise in the employment of private security guards. i could go on and on and on. prior to the rise of the power of the federal goverment, labor struggles were kept in line by those jack booted thugs.

>Information in and of itself is not necessarily "property". That is a
>point subject to debate.

Jack Scotchenwater and his VPs and the BoD and the stockholders don't participate in that debate. for them, there is NO debate. end of story! ya kidding?

moreover, the broader public wouldn't either. for Suzy Wincooler it's more like this: " What? Someone getting access to my credit card number, my health records, my employment record, salary history, purchase record is my fucking property and i don't like it that people are floating around taking a look see, see? i expect that a firm i entrust my hard earned dollars to will protect that info and if they don't i'm pissed. i want these suckers prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

>Whoa whoa whoa. No one "gained access" to any of my [private]
>"information". They hacked a Win98 machine used for playing games.
>Nothing that is sensitive is on a computer directly connected to the
>internet (a lesson Joe Scotchenwater ought to learn), and there is nothing
>on that machine other than games and mp3s.

well, that's why i put an emoticon on the end of that because i figured you knew better. however, i know that a large part of what i spend time doing is training people about security at home, and our clients are the tech depts in firms, not joe avg user but people who are supposed to know this crap.

>It helps having a healthy budget for that purpose. :-) But you realise
>of course that the firewall is the EASY piece of an InfoSec dep't and
>penetrations and compromise are more likely to come from many other places
>(oh, the stories I could tell.....).

well yah, that's my job since we're the technology is never enough infosec firm. thank god everyone but you is a loser in the geek world, or we'd be outta work! ha!

kelley