FW: 8 Eurocentric Historians

Forstater, Mathew ForstaterM at umkc.edu
Mon Sep 25 14:15:57 PDT 2000

It does get confusing with Blaut, because he does seem to argue not simply that the plundering of Asia, Africa, and the Americas by 'Europe' and the technical innovations borrowed from them by Europe were all necessary preconditions for capitalist take-off and development, but that either an incipient capitalism itself had developed outside of Europe and/or capitalism would have developed outside of Europe absent the Euro-interventions. This latter part is where I have a problem. Capitalism arose as a result of the historical conjunction of a number of forces. As it is a global system, Europe does not deserve any primacy, but Europe did play a particular role, even though that role was not independent from the 'rest of the world' (ROTW).

My understanding of the old debate about the origins of capitalism was that one side had the internalist thesis that it was a classic relations/forces of production story about feudalism, with no causal role for the relations of Europe with the ROTW; the externalist thesis on the other side claimed that those relations with the ROTW played a primary causal role--providing the 'primitive' accumulation, plus the triangular/quadrangular trade, and later colonialism, neo-colonialism, imperialism opening up markets for goods and providing raw materials, etc. But I never remembered any part about capitalism itself being borrowed from elsewhere, it was built on the backs of the ROTW.

-----Original Message----- From: Doug Henwood [mailto:dhenwood at panix.com] Sent: Monday, September 25, 2000 3:33 PM To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Subject: Re: FW: 8 Eurocentric Historians

debsian at pacbell.net quoted the inimitable James Blaut:

>For
>these
>scholars, the origins of capitalism are European.

I'm confused. If Europe is to be condemned for colonizing the world, and Europe certainly deserves lots of condemnation for that, it must have diffused something in the process. I could swear that diffused something had something to do with capitalism, but I'm no historian, I'm just a journalist.

Doug