Political Anthems

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Mon Sep 25 15:08:09 PDT 2000

Nathan at Newman wrote:
>Just interested in starting a thread on folks' favorite political anthems,
>songs with a tough political edge. Partly my interest is my newfound
diving
>into Napster-style music surfing, so I'm going to try to put together a
nice
>playlist of left political songs. So what are your favorites.

I always liked that old Husker Du song, . . .

There's always the song about the courageous African-American worker who leads an oppressed minority community to victorious armed struggle against a coalition of robber barons, bandits, and other lumpen elements. In the process, questions of gender, disability, and social exclusion achieve social transformation.

Of course I'm referring to Blazing Saddles, as sung by Frankie Laine.

mbs