rumors

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Mon Sep 25 15:59:42 PDT 2000

On Mon, 25 Sep 2000 14:47:59 -0400 Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> writes:
> Anyone hear the rumor that Cheney will resign from the ticket just
> before the election - for "health" reasons - to be replaced by Colin
>
> Powell?

Sounds like a Republican activist's wet dream to me. A lot of Republican activists have been less than satisfied with Cheney's performance on the stump. Traditionally, Republicans have played a kind of "good cop," "bad cop" routine with their presidential and vice presidential candidates. VP candidates have usually played the role of attack dogs, throwing red meat to the Republican base, thereby freeing up the presidential nominee to play the role of the "genial unifier." The classic example of this is the pairing of Eisenhower with Richard Nixon. Later on in 1968, Spiro Agnew played the role of attack dog as the vp candidate with Nixon or rather the "new Nixon" playing the role of the man "who would bring us together." In 1976, this routine was played again, with Gerry Ford as the genial presidential candidate and Bob Dole as the ticket's "hit man." Likewise, in 1988, Dan Quayle attempted to play the role of attack dog for the ticket.

In this presidential race, thus far, Dick Cheney, to the extent that he has played attack dog has proven to be about as fearsome as the chihuahua in the Taco Bell commercials. No wonder, some Republicans would still be dreaming of getting Colin Powell on the ticket.

Jim Farmelant

________________________________________________________________ YOU'RE PAYING TOO MUCH FOR THE INTERNET! Juno now offers FREE Internet Access! Try it today - there's no risk! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.