Political Anthems

Thomas Waters twaters at panix.com
Mon Sep 25 18:43:31 PDT 2000

On Mon, 25 Sep 2000, Peter K. wrote:

> One of my favorite bands (no longer in existence, alas), Uncle Tupelo, has a
> song "Coalminers" on their _March 16-20, 1992_ album. It ends with the
> catchy line:
> "Let's sink this capitalist system to the darkest pits of hell."

What would a hootenanny be without Sara Ogan Gunning's "Come All You Coal Miners" (which ends with that line) ... or for that matter her "I Hate the Capitalist System"? Both are in the classic songbook, Hard Hitting Songs for Hard Hit People, comp. Alan Lomax, New York: Oak Publications 1967, and the former is on the indispensible Coal Mining Women from Rounder Records. It really is a hell of tune.

Tom