Exorcist + axioms

Mikalac Norman S NSSC MikalacNS at NAVSEA.NAVY.MIL
Mon Sep 25 09:49:27 PDT 2000

see, justin. if the discussants had accepted the axiomatic method of discussion, this thread wouldn't have progressed this far with disagreement. under the axiomatic treatment, the participants would have insisted that each discussant define "science" before proceeding and with irreconcilable differences that would have ensued about the definition, they would have quit long ago.

because i've been down this road too many times in the past, is it any wonder why i'm an axiom freak today?!

norm

------------------------------------- Actually, that's false. Theology *is* the science of faith and God. That's what theologians do. For those who accept the presuppositions, the rest is downright positivistic. Check out anything by Donald Wiebe - who has spent his entire career providing a powerful critique of theologians who stray from the path of science.

> although most people are not interested in their work. --jks

Last time I checked, the American Academy of Religion and the Society for Biblical Literature were enjoying a rather healthy membership...

Why is it necessary to distinguish theology from a list of other humanities that use a scholarship that is empirical in practice but is quite far from a science?

I don't have any intellectual problem with putting theology in the humanities wing, since it was the original academic discipline. However, to call it a science is ridiculous, and confuses an interpretative scholasticism with a rigorously empirical methodology, taking us back to when, the fourth century? Nobody has considered christianity an hypothesis since Theodosius tossed the altar of Victory out of the forum, closed the Olympic games and ended even a toleration of paganism back in the 390's.

I believe this was considered the dawn of the Dark Ages. Really Ken.

Chuck Grimes