Pollitt on Nader

John Halle john.halle at yale.edu
Mon Sep 25 22:02:24 PDT 2000

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 15:37:26 -0400
> From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>
> Subject: Pollitt on Nader
>
> [John Halle says no one will be interested. Sorry.]

I meant interested in talking about practical solutions to what Adolph Green correctly identified as certain inherent problems in the Nader/Green Party organizational structure, or lack thereof, whether the party is reformable, whether a minimal investment in organizational energies by a few demobilized or dormant leftists would make a difference etc.

As far as this article goes, I saw it a few days ago and was annoyed then, and am annoyed on reading it again. Basically the argument seems to be that Ralph is now OK because he takes Pollitt's phone calls, as does Pat Ireland. Well all us losers without access to unlisted phone numbers are really impressed, let me tell you. Also the string of near-libelous charges Pollitt has been making from the beginning, and have been constantly recycled by faux-progressives everywhere are now to be forgotten because Ralph was charming on the phone.

And there are still plenty of us out there who buy Ehrenreich's argmument that a victory for Gore will be worse, in many respects, for progressive politics because of its "almost certainly debilitating effect on progressives and their organizations." Pollitt never bothers to touch that argument because it's her accomodationist feminist pals (among others) who are "charmed by the crumbs of "access" thrown their way and the occasional low-level progressive appointment that they bit(e) their tongues whenever Clinton (or Gore) show(s) his true DLC colors."

My respect for Pollitt is now at about zero.

John Halle