New Economy rant

Jim heartfield jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Tue Sep 26 11:34:39 PDT 2000

In message <p0433011ab5f68bc514d4@[216.254.77.128]>, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> writes
>Nonbrand capital - a factory or a piece of software, say -
>contributes to social wealth, even though much of that contribution
>is appropriated by capitalists. Brand capital contributes to the
>returns of the trademark holder, but doesn't increase social wealth
>in any meaningful sense; the inflated markups are a diversion from
>money that could otherwise have been spent elsewhere. The first kind
>of capital increases the volume of income and goods; the second just
>redistributes it.

On that score I couldn't help but notice that Cox and Alm's demonstration of the increased productivity of labour (showing the changing amount of time it takes to earn enough to buy a commodity) goes into reverse when measuring a pair of levis:

1900 9hrs 42 1910 9hrs 30 ...

1960 2hrs 36 1970 2hrs 18 1980 2hrs 48 1990 2hrs 48 1999 3hrs 24

The latest upturn in price, one imagines, a measure not of the declining productivity of labour, so much as the artificial inflation of price that
>doesn't increase social wealth
>in any meaningful sense

-- James Heartfield

Great Expectations: the creative industries in the New Economy is available from Design Agenda, 4.27 The Beaux Arts Building, 10-18 Manor Gardens, London, N7 6JT Price 7.50 GBP + 1GBP p&p