Exorcist

Anita Mage mage at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Wed Sep 27 02:10:15 PDT 2000

Carrol Cox wrote:

>Chuck Grimes wrote:
>
>> Have any recommendations on books? (other than Gibbon, of course...)

Hey, Gibbon's not that bad. It's just that he starts with Commodus and doesn't know where to stop. His autobiography is a most amazing piece of literature.

>> I just finished a whole bunch of books about WW1 and I'm looking for a
>> new era... ;-)
>
>There is a magnificent bibliography in Ellen Wood's *Peasant-Citizen and
>Slave*, and some of those have fine bibliographies in turn. Wood's book
>is of extraordinary interest.

I second Carrol's take on Wood on ancient Athens, unfortunately out-of-print. it's regrettable that the ancient historians have not given it the reception it deserves.

Chuck, if you want to get into ancient, ad fontes!!!

in addition, *anything* by M.I. Finley. Ste. Croix, Class Struggles in the Ancient World can, if used with caution, serve as a reference work and compendium of opinions on just about anything you might encounter while reading ancient history.

Anita