Morally Bankrupt economists on their way to becoming financially so...

JKSCHW at aol.com JKSCHW at aol.com
Wed Sep 27 12:37:24 PDT 2000

You can't get prison time in a civil case. The guy was already in jail, after being tried in Florida. Some of his victims sued his corporation civilly here (Illinois)--it has no money, but they needed the judgment for some purpose or other. --jks

In a message dated Wed, 27 Sep 2000 2:07:22 PM Eastern Daylight Time, jf noonan <jfn1 at msc.com> writes:

<< On Wed, 27 Sep 2000 JKSCHW at aol.com wrote:

> I drafted an opinion in a civil case involving a guy who was
> convicted of defrauding a bond issuer of $130 million. A
> federal judge in Florida gave him 740 years in the slam,
> plus three years supervised release, plus 75 hours of
> community service. There is no parole in the federal system.
> So, in principle, these Harvard guys could face real trouble
> id the US atty gets interested. --jks

How can you get prison time for a civil case? I thought that was one of the major distinction between civil and criminal law. I further thought that that was the reason the standard of proof was lower in civil actions (i.e. you can't lose your liberty, only your money).

Joseph Noonan Houston, TX jfn1 at msc.com