Pollitt on Nader

Barry Rene DeCicco bdecicco at umich.edu
Wed Sep 27 13:48:00 PDT 2000

A request - somebody mentioned an article by Ehrenreich in The Nation about Nader (and possibly Katha Pollit). I was unable to find it in a search. Could somebody help?

Also, about Nathan's views (please forgive me for putting words in your mouth, Nathan):

I agree with Nathan that the real choice, and real work, comes long before the election. By the time that the election comes around, things are much more constrained. Note that the right does understand this and acts accordingly: DLC, Moral Majority, 'Christian' Coalition, and several dozen rightwing 'think tanks', foundations, etc.

However, I don't share Nathan's concern about federal funding for the Greens causing that much trouble. If they can't handle it, they'll be out of the running in the first two years (see how fast the Reform Party disintigrated, once Perot stopped running it). Those people displaced by the ones seeking the money will either form new groups, or (hopefully) go to the Democratic Party and shake things up.

It might not work this way, of course, but our most likely alternative is the DLC-ization of the Democratic Party reaching 100%, so it's worth a shot.

Barry