(en) Czech, Prague, Appeal for solidarity statement From INPEG

Chuck0 chuck at tao.ca
Thu Sep 28 07:54:51 PDT 2000

-------- Original Message -------- Subject: (en) Czech, Prague, Appeal for solidarity statement From INPEG Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 10:38:58 -0400 From: Radim Prahl <radimprahl at yahoo.com> Reply-To: a-infos-d at lists.tao.ca To: prag-logistics at egroups.com, caravan99 at list.free.de, antimmf2000 at egoups.com

A - I N F O S N E W S S E R V I C E

http://www.ainfos.ca/

(((The INPEG www site has been hacked yesterday, that´s why we use this personal e-mail account.)))

This is an INPEG Appeal for solidarity statement:

On September, 26 there were massive protest in Prague against the conference of the IMF and the World bank. Around twelve thousand people demanded these two institutions to shut down. It was a success - their meeting was seriously disrupted and the protestors arguments were raised. There were also clashes with the police force, which was present in massive numbers. Tens of protesters were arrested during the protest but many more have been arrested since. Throughout the following night massive police retaliation took place. Anyone "suspected" of belonging to the protesters side were chased down, often beaten and arrested. The official number of the arrested the morning after S26 was 422 people. As on September, 27 the protests continued to some extend, the police had a lot of time to search for those who looked like activists. There are records that the police were occasionally assisted by Czech nazis, both while chasing protesters and at the same time at the police stations to which the arrested were moved. Today on Thursday, 28 the massive arrests are continuing. A non-violent demonstration in front of the Ministry of Interior against the police brutality and in solidarity with the arrested took place. Another 30 people were dragged away. The official police sources say up till now 892 activist have been arrested, majority of them having already been released. The reports of those released are absolutely horrifying. They are being denied access to phone, they are beaten from time to time, at least at one police station the Nazis have been allowed to access to cells... It is hard to get a clear picture of the situation in Prague. Because of the police brutality some activist are so scared that after they are released they try to get out of the country as soon as possible. It doesn´t allow us to record their evidence. The media are hysterical indeed supporting the police 100% and actually whipping up the repression. As the repressions have been aimed against Czech activists as well, it´s hard to organize solidarity with the jailed here as all the attempts to organize in the streets result only into more instant arrests. At the same time we have no chance to push our arguments through the official media. That´s why we appeal to international solidarity, as immediate and strong as possible. The situation here is critical. The arrested demand your solidarity. We beg you to send faxes and E-mails protesting against the treatment of those arrested. Keep in mind that huge majority of the arrested are arrested only because of their political conviction. The repression is based on the collective guilt - the police must stop their brutality and release them immediately. If possible try to organize a protest in front of Ambassies of Czech republic. The sooner the better. If there´s no Ambassy in your town there might be a Czech cultural center.

We thank you very much on behalf of the arrested activist.

Initiative against economic globalisation, the organizational platform of S26.

Yours, Viktor Piorecky (spokesmen of INPEG)

The President Havel´s office fax number: 00 420 2 24310851

The Minister of Interior: 00 420 2 61433560

Note: try to translate and spread this appeal.

********

The A-Infos News Service

News about and of interest to anarchists

********

COMMANDS: lists at tao.ca

REPLIES: a-infos-d at lists.tao.ca

HELP: a-infos-org at lists.tao.ca

WWW: http://www.ainfos.ca

INFO: http://www.ainfos.ca/org

To receive a-infos in one language only mail lists at tao.ca the message

unsubscribe a-infos

subscribe a-infos-X

where X = en, ca, de, fr, etc. (i.e. the language code)