FW: <alter-ee> (Anarchist diatribe on Naomi Klein)

Chuck0 chuck at tao.ca
Thu Sep 28 09:34:40 PDT 2000

Brad DeLong wrote:

> >Apropos the fuel protests, the tireless class warriors at Workers
> >Vanguard say in their current ish that while the protests are petit
> >bourgeois in origin, they further the interests of the working class
> >(which is hurt by higher fuel prices) and make life miserable for
> >the bourgeois state, so on balance, they deserve support.
> >
> >Doug
>
> The working class drives SUVs?

Yes. I don't know where you live, but here in D.C. (Arlington) you see lots of working class folks driving SUVs. I live in an apartment complex that is working class and predominantly Latino and I see SUVs parked all over the place. I just moved across town this sumemr from College Park and the working class folks out there drove them too.

I used to think that SUVs were only driven by Yuppie scum, but earlier this year it dawned on me that the SUV is the station wagon of the 90s/OOs.

Chuck0 "carless since 1989"