small not beautiful

jan carowan jancarowan at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 28 11:06:01 PDT 2000

Mr Henwood, Who exactly do you think the average user of computing power is? Do you think there were no computers in the CPI before 97 or no personal computers?

What percentage of total computing power is represented by PCs? How does one calcalute the declining prices of computing power as new functions are continuously enabled? What measure should we use to determine the falling costs of communications? Why should a productivity measure be welfare-sensitive? How does passing off a challenge to a government economist constitute a reply? And what is one to make of your yawning about the recent study of Popkin or Grant's unclear criticism of the hedonic price index or the upcoming problems of adjusting to the latest industrial revolution? Won't I get more honest, searching answers to such questions in the business press which you and others here should doubtless observe more carefully? Your 'reply" is attached below. JC