ECB Trains Euro-Artillery on IMF

Dennis R Redmond dredmond at oregon.uoregon.edu
Thu Sep 28 16:01:31 PDT 2000

On Thu, 28 Sep 2000, [iso-8859-1] Daniel Davies wrote:

> And the EIB is a totally different kettle of fish.
> You're mixing up long-term, development lending with
> short term emergency policy support lending. And the
> sums are an order of magnitude different.
>
> Unless I'm missing something?

Bye-bye World Bank/IMF, hello EIB/Ecofin, I should've said. It's just that Duisenberg said this to a bunch of high-flying financiers in Prague, on the eve of S26. His speech was also unusually blunt about (1) the need for the EU state apparatus to create euro-friendly structures on the international level, and (2) the role of the euro is going to considerably expand in the future. This is not normally the kind of thing one hears from central bankers, no?

-- Dennis