Malaysian morality

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Sep 29 07:32:32 PDT 2000

TIME Magazine, September 26, 2000 http://www.cnn.com/ASIANOW/time/features/interviews/2000/09/26/int.malay.gay2.

html WEB-ONLY EXCLUSIVE 'Homosexuality is a Crime Worse Than Murder' Interview with Malaysia's morality police By MAGESWARY RAMAKRISHNAN

Abdul Kadir Che Kob describes homosexuals as "shameless people" and homosexuality as a "sin worse than murder." Abdul Kadir is head of education and research at Malaysia's Islamic Affairs Department, which operates as the morality police with 50 enforcement officers across the country. These officers are empowered to arrest Muslims -- including unmarried couples, homosexuals, transvestites and transsexuals -- suspected of breaking Islamic laws. Last year, 111 men were arrested in Kuala Lumpur for "attempting to commit homosexual acts." Abdul Kadir spoke recently to TIME contributor Mageswary Ramakrishnan. Excerpts:

TIME: How does Islam perceive homosexuality?

Abdul Kadir: Homosexuality is forbidden in Islam. It is a crime worse than murder.

TIME: What do you think of homosexuals?

Abdul Kadir: They are shameless people.

TIME: Can it be wrong for two people to be in love?

Abdul Kadir: Love? How can men have sex with men? God did not make them this way. This is all Western influence -- and the gay people expect us to be open- minded?

TIME: Your department made 111 arrests in Kuala Lumpur last year compared with 165 in 1998 and 166 in 1997. Is this an indication that the number of gays is decreasing?

Abdul Kadir: No, I don't think so. Perhaps they have become smarter in avoiding us. Maybe the department received fewer complaints. We only act based on complaints. It is difficult to act otherwise. How would we know what is happening? We don't know what is happening behind closed doors.

TIME: What do you do when you receive a tip-off?

Abdul Kadir: Usually people give us precise information like where these men are. We then go to the place, say, a hotel room. We knock and force them to open the door, but they are usually fully clothed by then. We still charge them for attempting to commit homosexual acts.

TIME: What about those who say that people have a right to choose who they want to be with?

Abdul Kadir: What right are you talking about? This is a sin, end of story.

TIME: What about gay women?

Abdul Kadir: We have never arrested lesbian women. There are no complaints, maybe because it is difficult to gauge who is a lesbian.

TIME: What happens when gay men are arrested?

Abdul Kadir: We charge them in court, but before that we put them through what we call Islamic counseling sessions. They recite the Koran everyday and we will tell them they have committed a grave sin.

TIME: Do these people change?

Abdul Kadir: It is difficult to make them change; it has to come from within. I know there is very little effect. Out of 100 people, only one will change.

TIME: If your approach is not working, then why not abandon it?

Abdul Kadir: No, we have to tell these people they are doing something very wrong in the eyes of Allah [God]. It is a major sin. Gay people think being gay is a fashion.

TIME: Malaysia has three major ethnic groups -- Malays, Chinese and Indians. Is homosexuality more prevalent in some groups than others?

Abdul Kadir: It is prevalent among the Malays, I have to admit.

TIME: If homosexuality is just a fashion, why do you think so many Malay men are willing to risk arrest by your department?

Abdul Kadir: Like I said, this is a Western influence. They also operate very smoothly. Even if we know they are gay, we cannot arrest them unless we receive information about them.

TIME Magazine, September 26, 2000 http://www.cnn.com/ASIANOW/time/features/interviews/2000/09/26/int.malay.gay1.

html WEB-ONLY EXCLUSIVE 'During the Anwar Trial it Was Easy to Get Lucky' Interview with openly gay journalist Ashley Lee By MAGESWARY RAMAKRISHNAN

Ashley Lee is a 26-year-old Kuala Lumpur-based journalist and a prominent member of Malaysia's gay community. Lee attributes the Internet, new bars, and "cruising areas" for the rise in the number of people coming out as gay, and reveals the sodomy trial of Anwar Ibrahim (the country's former Deputy Prime Minister) even increased his own sex life. He spoke recently with TIME contributor Mageswary Ramakrishnan. Excerpts:

TIME: What is happening in the Malaysian gay community?

Lee: The gay community is growing. Many gay saunas and pubs have been opening up to cater to this increase. Gay men are also becoming more open about their sexuality. Gay cruising areas are also increasing -- there are a few dozen spots in Kuala Lumpur, alone.

TIME: What are cruising areas?

Lee: These are pickup areas where men meet other men and have sex with them.

TIME: What is your reaction to Anwar Ibrahim's nine-year jail sentence for sodomy?

Lee: During the Anwar trial it was easy to get lucky. After he was sacked my sex life escalated. Many people wanted to experiment with gay sex.

TIME: Has the Internet made a difference to the gay community?

Lee: We are all logged on to the Internet. We have chat lines catering to Malaysian gays. We have chat parties where we meet the people we have been chatting with.

TIME: Anal sex is a crime in Malaysia. Do you have problems with the police?

Lee: It is ironical but the authorities have left us alone so far. They know where the gay pubs are. They are aware of the pickup areas, but so far nothing has happened. I hope it stays that way.

TIME: Why do you think the authorities are turning a blind eye?

Lee: I think it's because we are not openly demanding recognition or holding gay parades.

TIME: Do you think Malaysia's sex laws should be changed?

Lee: Of course. Why can't they recognize that this involves two people who are in love. There is nothing wanton about it.

TIME: Do Malaysians in general accept homosexuality?

Lee: Most Malaysians think we are vulgar creatures only in relation to anal sex. I for one hate anal sex. I am talking about love here. I feel for another man and want to have a life with him. I hope people will stop seeing stereotypes and start seeing us human beings.

TIME: Do you think this will ever happen in Malaysia?

Lee: Yes, when the gay community has become really big. I believe that numbers will add to our strength. With a huge number of people we might be able to not only gain respect from society but perhaps even lobby for our rights.