Anarchist diatribe on Naomi Klein + what's so bad?

Chuck0 chuck at tao.ca
Fri Sep 29 10:44:22 PDT 2000

Gordon Fitch wrote:

> kelley:
> > but seriously, one of the arguments we've had here is over the economic
> > conditions under which people get "pissed off". some, follow the
> > historical examples of unrest during economic downtowns and the marxist
> > assertion that people will be more likely to throw off their chains when
> > they have nothing left to lose. others have suggested that it may also be
> > the case the people get angry precisely when things are going
> > great. people say, "if life is so great why am i unhappy?" or why is my
> > employer still trying to niggle out of paying us what we're worth or
> > extract the most from us? or why do i look around and still see pockets of
> > squalor and poverty? it also presents opportunities for people to point
> > out the problems or contradictions--in the way, for example, that Martin
> > Luther King did in Letter from a Birmingham Jail. e.g., if these are the
> > ideals this country upholds, then why are you *really* upholding them?
>
> A theory of revolution I have often heard, but do not know
> the source of, is that revolutionary situations are produced
> not within the ruled lower orders, but as a result of the
> internal condition of the ruling class, resulting in failure
> or inability to rule and thereby suppress competitors for
> power. Although the elitist flavor of the theory is unpleasant
> to me, it does seem to be often borne out in history -- the
> boots going up the stairs, the slippers coming down (I think
> that's Voltaire).
>
> If the theory indeed reflects phenomena, then the widespread
> observation of the Dilbert effect in business, academia and
> government should give all revolutionaries hope.

This may account for the lack of demonization that is being conducted against us rabble. After all these anti-capitalist actions this year I would have expected to hear more about us being terrorists. More as in every night on the nightly news.

Perhaps the ruling class has woken up and are trying to buy some time for reforms? After they institute a few reforms, then they can really demonize the black-clad street economists.

Chuck0