Reaching Out: Some Considerations wasRe: MLK &

Kelley Walker kelley at interpactinc.com
Sun Apr 1 18:50:31 PDT 2001

At 08:59 PM 4/1/01 -0400, Doug Henwood wrote:
>Kelley Walker wrote:
>
>>contrary to Doug, i fail to see how Chris's question was reasonable. "we"
>>are discussing Brown and other campuses where a ruckus was raised because
>>that's what made the media and that's what fit into the media's terms for
>>presenting these issues--they like it simple like that.
>
>Ah, so radicals should take their cue from the mainstream media about what
>are effective political actions?
>
>Doug

have you taken on yoshie's debate techniques? or has she been your docile student all this time? we're discussing brown because that's what made the papers. if people from duke, etc. don't tell us about what happened there, we can't fucking know. duke doesn't make the national media for obvious reasons, brown/berk/etc does. brown/berk capture the popular imagination about just what's wrong with the left so, as i said way back, we're stuck discussing this on the terms that horowitz wanted it discussed on--that is, if we bother to talk about this things at all outside our small little circle of like minded lefties and actually have to deal with people that disagree with the left, think that racism's not a problem, etc.