European protectionism

Daniel Davies d_squared_2002 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Apr 3 00:56:14 PDT 2001

--- James Heartfield <Jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> If the BSE-CJD connection wasn't the 38th example of
> food/health panics
> in the UK then like you, I would have assumed that the
> connection was a
> rational one. But coming after the imaginary Salmonella in
> the eggs
> scare, the necrotising fasciitis scare, and all the others

Necrotising fasciitis was not, IIRC, a food-related scare -- it was a silly season-related scare with no connection to the food industry. Having suffered from a particularly nasty bout of the shits in the recent past, I am in as good a position as any (sitting, mainly) to confirm that there was and is nothing imaginary about the presence of salmonella in British eggs.

Not that our beloved government's advice on this matter isn't stupid, of course, because it is.

dd

===== For the stronger we our houses do build The less chance there is of being killed

-- William McGonagall.