The coming Glorious Revolution

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Apr 3 01:14:56 PDT 2001

>Brad Mayer wrote:
>
>>A bit dated by a few years, but still sounding fresh. Especially
>>refreshing is its clear, public voice, free of the annoying
>>encumbrances of postmodern/poststructuralist discourse. I am
>>especially in accord with the historical sequence: the Russian
>>Revolution was our Cromwellian Puritan Revolution, the next
>>revolutionary wave will bring us our own Glorious Revolution, when
>>at last the way forward for post-capitalist development will be
>>decisively opened up on the world scale, once and for all, forever.
>>
>>But first to sweep some cold war liberal rubbish out of the way...
>
>Right. And if it weren't for Jacques Derrida, the revolutionary
>moment would already have arrived!
>
>Doug

Derrida probably wouldn't be annoyed by the negative reference to postmodern/poststructuralist discourse, in that he doesn't claim to be a postmodernist/poststructuralist. In fact, most pomo celebrities profess they are *not* pomo, probably because it's uncool to be pomo. Postmodernism/poststructuralism may die as an intellectual fashion & school of thought (if not as a structure of feeling in late capitalism) due to the dearth of people who unabashedly say they believe in postmodernism/poststructuralism. No postmodernist = no postmodernism. :-)

Yoshie