European protectionism

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Apr 3 08:22:33 PDT 2001

James Heartfield wrote:

>Here are some other irrational policies pursued by capitalist
>governments:
>
>Jailing more than a million American

Why is that irrational? It's a wonderful way to deal with a surplus population, increase police powers, and limit civil liberties.

>With his usual rapier-like wit,

You are too kind.

> Doug challenges
>
>>Is the Journal of the American Medical Association part of the conspiracy?
>><http://jama.ama-assn.org/issues/v281n24/abs/jcn90000.html>:
>
>quoting
>
>>"In the
>>United Kingdom, new variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease probably
>>resulted from the ingestion of BSE-contaminated processed beef."
>
>Try reading the quote again. Does it occur to you that of the three
>sources that you have cited against my proposition that there is no
>proven link between BSE and CJD, not one says that there is? I wonder
>why? Could it be because there is no proven link between CJD and BSE?

There's epidemiological and laboratory evidence that there is a link. It's not "proven," but neither was the relation between cigarettes and cancer for a long time.

Let's see. The consensus of atmospheric scientists is that global warming is a serious risk. The consensus of biomedical scientists is that there's probably a link betwen BSE and nvCJD. Who's being the anti-scientific romantic in denying these?

Doug