Hoof & Mouth vaccination

Marco Anglesio mpa at the-wire.com
Tue Apr 3 09:08:37 PDT 2001

On Mon, 2 Apr 2001, Michael Pollak wrote:
> Could you elaborate on these "peacetime" restrictions, since they seem to
> be the nub? Or maybe direct me where I could look it up? Many thanks.

Well, barriers on trade are nationally implemented. However, the Office International des Epizooties (International Office of Epizootics - that is, animal epidemics) of the world organization for animal health specifies activities which risk communicating FMD.

http://www.oie.int/eng/flash/en_norme_fa_czi.htm

> That goes equally for vaccinated and non-vaccinated nations, yes?

It's a national concern, but I doubt that any nation is keen on bringing more FMD into their territory even if it is endemic. It's classified as an OIE list A disease - a transmissible disease that has the potential for very serious and rapid spread, irrespective of national borders, that are of serious socio-economic or public health consequence.

More to the point, the public health measures for containing FMD are either vaccination (which has its drawbacks) or mass culls of afflicted herds. Movement around an afflicted nation tends to be constrained during an outbreak. Finally, commercial slaughter (as opposed to culls) of animals is probably out of the question because of the public health consequences of slaughter at an abbatoir (the virus becomes aerosolized, and can travel great distances; the abbatoir itself cannot easily be decontaminated).

The CBC Newsworld (for those LBO readers that get Newsworld) program Counterspin had an interesting discussion on FMD last night; an agricultural economist asserted that rampant FMD across Africa was partly responsible for poor agricultural production there in meat and dairy, especially for small landholders or tenant farmers.

It's entirely possible that I've missed a few important points here, so if you're at all interested, check out the OIE site.

Marco