The coming Glorious Revolution

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Tue Apr 3 12:52:44 PDT 2001

Brad Mayer:
> But are you aware that the American, more than anyone else on this earth,
> is _sorely_ in need of precisely an emphasis on the social and collective,
> rather than the individual? There is _too much_ _mindless_ individualism
> here in the USA, and it deeply affects American leftists as well - it is
> why they have the most basic problems, such as a failure to grasp the
> significance of political organization. They really do believe they can do
> whatever the fuck they want - just like Uncle Sam does in the world at large.

Individualism is not the work of capitalism and liberalism, which treat most persons as disindividuated members of worker, consumer, voter and other political/economic groups. While _mindless_ individualism is an oxymoron, individualism (which requires some kind of mind so that the individual can differentiate itself from the mass) would probably be a good thing; in any case, its large-scale appearance would at least be an interesting change.

I don't know about other leftists, but I have given a lot of thought to political organization and other aspects of praxis. The problem I encounter is not that people are off doing things on their disorganized own; it's that they're not doing anything. They can't even vote individualistically. Lately I've reflected that this may be the result of a large number of our fellow- citizens having sat in front of television sets with their mouths hanging open since around 1950.

Perhaps things are different in Russia.