Regional competition (was re: regional chauvinism)

Brad Mayer bradley.mayer at ebay.sun.com
Tue Apr 3 14:27:43 PDT 2001

Well, I've been called upon to bust my daily limit...my provocations are really aimed at initiating an inter-regional competition among leftists, to see who can put on the most effective demonstrations and other forms of struggle, etc. It has worked well for hiphop in a different venue. I'd say right now the West Coast is in the lead, although we've be resting on its paltry "laurels" as of late, and it remains to be seen how well it'll do in response to this "power" swindle that threatens the bankruptcy of the State of California, supposedly.

This is quite different from an analysis of the regional/metropolitian configuration of the bourgeoise in North America (not just the US), including "foreign" capital, such as for example that of the Chinese capitalist "diaspora" that is systematically "colonizing" West Coast metropoli, to the extent that this capital becomes the dominant force in Vancouver, BC and an important factional player in Seattle, L.A. and San Francisco (where it is in turn split into two factions, 'pro-Taiwan' and 'pro-Beijing'). This by way of example, but to keep this in perspective, I believe British capital is still the single most important "foreign" colonizer in North America.

So it is important to add the "foreigners" to the "domestic" mix. Further, these "domestics" have their own _massive_ overseas colonies, such as Silicon Valley, "Big Energy" and Wall Street, so we have to see North America as a central "backbone" in a global grid of metropoles fought over by an ever-shifting, overlapping array of capital fractions. In short, a lot of work to analyze, and a moving target at that.

So "reductionist" caveats certainly apply here. It is not so simple as to say that the burst bubble is the subordination of SV to Wall Street. The latter is being hurt by the burst as well, after all, so it was more an alliance of convenience - now an "alliance" of pain. This caveat goes for the interpretation of mainstream politics as well - politicians are not simply bought by fractions of capital. They are (rather petty) capitalists themselves - political entrepreneurs on the hustle for markets for their ideological goods, a ground first plowed long ago in the days of Van Buren and Tammany Hall by the party of political entrepreneurship par excellence: the Democrats. The do have some room for maneuver in their own particular interests.

But it is possible to broadly map ruling class ideological trends to particular regions/metropoli. For example, Taiwan/Singapore for the extraordinarily secular and authoritarian ideological trends of the Chinese capitalist diaspora. Technocratic ideologies: California, North East USA, Japan, Chinese Diaspora lands, France, Germany, etc. (a lot of places). Militarism: radiating from the US South. Republican Party conservativism: various branches radiating out from Texas, apparently. Zionism: New York - Washington, D.C. Metro - _not_ Israel - as its _world_ platform. Emperor (now repackaged as "royal family") worship: Japan - note that this a carefully crafted (this is japan) ruling class ideology whose presentation is _absolutely_ worshipful - in sharp contrast to Britain, where the "royals" are a favored target of abuse. It is basically Japanese Zionism, a myth of a holy land and chosen people.

The above is a very rough cut. These (overlapping) ideological mappings can be particularly useful in explaining the differing behaviors of "lefts", mass movements, etc. in various metropoles and regions. It can explain, for pertinent example, why most American leftists don't actively and publicly take up the cause of the Palestinians in the same way they took up the cause of South African Blacks, even though the latter were never in danger of national extinction. Or why a leftist in another region might be more likely to take action outside the Northeast USA than within the one region where it is so desperately needed.

So we come full circle to the need for inter-regional left competition.

-Brad Mayer Oakland, CA