Calling all activists, actionists, insurrectionists....!

Ian Murray seamus2001 at home.com
Tue Apr 3 19:53:13 PDT 2001

[from ftaa-l]

PLEASE FORWARD!****SORRY FOR CROSS POSTS***PLEASE FORWARD!***

CALLING all activists, actionists, insurrectionists, revolutionaries, artists, writers, photographers, musicians, storytellers, independent mediatistas, radical optimists, utopians..... and anyone who feels that they are part of the global surge of anti- authoritarian, anti-capitalist movements.

A radical publishing project. 'We are Everywhere: the irresistible rise of global anti-capitalism' - involving a book , CD-ROM and web site is being put together by a collective of activists, artists and writers and we are looking for material.

"We Are Everywhere" is information for inspiration, it is NOT an academic or objective historical analysis. The project will be pure provocative propaganda. Contagious propaganda woven together from the many voices emanating from the many worlds who make up this rich and diverse movement.

"We are Everywhere" will celebrate, document, explore and critique the recent rise of the global movement(s) against capitalism and for life, autonomy, land, dignity and justice. The project is aimed at an audience of people intrigued by what they have seen in mainstream media and those who stand on the edges of the movement and have not made the jump into participation. It is also for those who mistakenly think this is a movement of white Western kids, that it began in Seattle and that it just wants to reform transnational corporations and global institutions. We aspire to seduce these people into joining in the joyful revolution of the everyday, while simultaneously challenging ourselves and each other to move forward.

One of the great strengths of these movements have been their capacity to re-ignite the idea of a truly global political project, a project defined by notions of autonomy, ecology, direct democracy, self-organisation and direct action. While events in Seattle, Prague and Davos hit the headlines, the mass mobilisations and radical movements of which have provided the inspiration to northern convergences and actions, have remained unseen and unacknowledged. This project hopes to redress this balance and tell many of the inspiring stories that still remain to be told.

Our time frame will begin, as most things began, in the global South, with the emergence of the Zapatistas in January 1994 and will end in March 2001 with the fulfilment of the promise the Zapatistas made 7 years ago, that they would take their struggle to Mexico City.

The project will be anti-copyright. There will be two print runs, a free version distributed by mail order and hand and a version for sale distributed in mainstream book shops. No one is being paid for this project and all profits will go into production of the free edition. "We are Everywhere" will be launched in November 2001 to coincide with the global, decentralised actions against the WTO ministerial meeting in Qatar.

What we want from You and what we are looking for:

Writings, stories, interviews, leaflets, rants, images, posters, scary statistics, provocative quotes, driving digitally formatted recordings of music or sounds from the streets, stunning photographs, anything that you feel will help tell the story and inspire others.

If you would prefer not to write we want to hear stories, so maybe we could interview you ? We would like voices to be a key part of the book and the CD-ROM.

The kind of things we do want - Street accounts of days of direct action- whether the Geneva riots against the WTO in 1998 or your local community participation in a global day of action; moments of inspiration that got you involved whether it was joining the raging grannies in Seattle or the activists in Bolivia that convinced you to join the struggle against the World Bank; or simply how you are resisting capitalism in your own locality in the everyday, and how you see that connecting to the wider movement.

Please try not to write more than 2000 words, unless you want to give the editor ase send material to: Submissions at WeAreEverywhere.org OR: Everywhere / c/o 55 Rectory Road / Oxford / OX4 1BW / UK OR: Everywhere / 1122 E. Pike Street #463 / Seattle, WA 98122 / USA

If you have any queries about this project contact us at the above addresses.

DEADLINE for receiving material - May 1st 2001 (easy to remember)

We are still looking for a team of programmers, media artists etc. to work on the CD-ROM and web site - if you are interested contact us.

A bit about us:

Our collective ( which still has no name ) has emerged to work on this project and will soon disappear, like a surgical thread melting into a wound, back into the work of assisting the decay of capitalism. It is made up of activists, writers and artists - all of whom have who have deep connections to this movement. Some of them are involved in Reclaim the Streets in the UK, others have worked in movements of the Global South or were involved in the shut down of the WTO in Seattle, some are deeply rooted in their local struggles others are nomadic organisers, some spend time teaching others writing, some have jobs, some have kids and most manage miraculously to do all of these things. If you look through police video surveillance you will notice that all of them can be seen on the streets of Prague last year, in various guises, enjoying another carnival against capital. Now they are living in different cities, on different continents but still remain connected by their irresistible optimism and insatiable desire to turn the world upside- down.

For more info: http://www.WeAreEverywhere.org [still under construction!]

* Seattle * Bangalore * Prague * Dakar * London * Chiapas * We Are Everywhere * Montreal * Tel Aviv * Port Harcourt * Nice * Bangkok * Melbourne * We Are Everywhere * Cancun * Wellington * Seoul * Geneva * Porte Alegre * Narmada Valley * Barcelona * Manila * New York * [add your place] * We Are Everywhere * We Are Everywhere * We Are Everywhere * We Are Everywhere *

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Dr Sean Homer, Lecturer in Psychoanalytic Studies and Tutor in English Literature, Centre for Psychotherapeutic

Studies and School of English, University of Sheffield, 16 Claremont Crescent, Sheffield, S10 2TA, United Kingdom, Tel: +44 114 222 2977, email: s.i.homer at sheffield.ac.uk Fax: +44 114 270 0619 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~