WSWS vs WSJ

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Tue Apr 3 21:44:35 PDT 2001

An mid-60's bio of Nader at the downtown S.F. library has a bibliography. (Which the items I'm mentioning, see the _Ralph Nader Reader_ from Four Walls Eight Windows_ (?) ommitted in their biblio!) Nader wrote a number of pieces for The Freeman, in the late 50's and early 60's. My copy of, "The Conservative Intellectual Movement in America: Since 1945, " by George Nash says The Freeman was founded by Albert Jay Nock in the 20's. Think, I've seen copis cat the SF State library. Anyway, my impression is it was a Old Right libertarian monthly. Think I, or someone else, sent to lbo-talk, back in October, the TNR editorial that drew attention to Nader's pieces there. But, in typical Marty Peretz fashion insinuated, Nader was an anti-semite.

And another piece by David Brooks, which had some interview excerpts (think the title was, "Ralph Nader, Conservative?") were Ralph ventilates on mass culture like that other. "self-described" (I hate that phrase, usually prefaced by "activist" by lazy journalists) "left conservative" Norman Mailer. Michael Pugliese http://www.google.com/search?q=NADER+The+Freeman