Kantians & Utilitarians (was Re: Singer's latest)

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 4 07:47:56 PDT 2001

Is this a serious question about Marxist medical ethics, Leo? Milton Fisk has a new book out on medical ethics, arguing for national health care. Richard Schmitt has several books developing Marxist conceptions of human nature. I asked Yoshie the same question, but in fact there is good Marxist work at precisely the level you pitched the question. The authors I mentioned are only good examples. What is lacking is a general ethical theory that might rival utilitarianism or Kantianism. At the level of specific problems and applied ethics, Marxists have been active without a general theory.

--jks