Kantians & Utilitarians (was Re: Singer's latest)

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 4 09:36:53 PDT 2001

George Brenkert has a book attempting to articulate what he takes to be a sort freedom-consequentialism as Marx's view; Phillip Kain argues that sort of thing in Marx and Ethics too. Richard Miller has a piece on Marx and Aristotle; and there is an anthology on Marx and the Ancients with various meditations on Marxist eudaimonism, including that one. Actually I am very attacted to eudaimonism myself, but I am also a liberal, so I wouldn't want to impose on couch potatoes, the religious, etc., and I hope they would return the favor (which is why I am a liberal). Milton Fisk has a general functionalist Marxist theory in his Ethics and Society that is sort of Humean naturalist; it's attractive in many ways, but hasn't caught on. Of course there is a line of Marxist antimoralism, on which morality is supposed to be ideology. Miller is also an advocate of that view; Peffer a critic. Point is, while we don't have a full blown alternative general theory, it's not like we've been sleep at the switch on the subject either.

--jks