Global Warming

James Heartfield Jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Wed Apr 4 10:54:59 PDT 2001

In message <p05010409b6f0fe49a5c6@[216.254.77.128]>, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> writes

>>But why would you be surprised that environmentalism is favoured by big
>>business? The modern environmental movement is a creation of big
>>business.
>
>No, it's a creation of activists and radicals, and big business has
>busily been co-opting it.

To which I think you will find the chronological order of events is all wrong.

The environmental movement in its modern incarnation begins with the Meadowes and Ehrlichs and Club of Rome in the early 1970s. It was plainly an elite response to what the Financial Times called at the time the 'crisis of rising expectations' (i.e. wage demands etc). Austerity was a programme advanced by elites, in opposition to popular demands for more.

It was only in the defeat of the labour movement that more radical activists - like yourself - adopted the banner of restricting consumption, in an unconscious adaptation to that strand of elite thinking.

-- James Heartfield