Conservatives and Popular Culture

David Hearne ottercrk at sover.net
Wed Apr 4 11:04:13 PDT 2001

Hello.

I've been a lurker on this list for awhile now. I'm afraid that I have very little to contribute. I'm ignorant on economic matters and I don't know Derrida from doughnuts.

However, I would like to call attention to a minor yet interesting subject -- conservative attitude towards popular culture. Right-wing complaints about obscenity and sexual content are familiar. However, how do conservatives feel about popular culture as an industry, a business, a captalist entity?

Answers can be found in the columns of L. Brent Bozell 3rd. Bozell probably ranks as the top conservative watchdog. On the Parents Television Council website, his opinions on entertainment matters are archived. Look up www.parentstv.org and check his editorials on "The Merchants of Cool" as well as the "affiliate revolt." Ask yourself -- what exactly does Bozell want to change about popular culture?

-- David