Red-Hatted

Johannes Schneider Johannes.Schneider at gmx.net
Thu Apr 5 06:17:45 PDT 2001

Dennis Robert Redmond wrote

> Just upgraded to Red Hat 7.0. Linux has come an amazing long way in 2
> years; it detected all my hardware no prob, got USB support, Zip is
> online, the Gnome window interface is stylin', and the Dialup connection
> is now a breeze, three CD-Roms for a mere $29.95. Red Hat 5.0, by
> contrast, was still pretty hacker-driven, I had to mess around to get
> X-windows to work, etc. The documentation and help systems are also nicely
> done.
>
> Anyone know if this is also true for the other distros out there (Debian,
> etc.)?

I agree, Red Hat is quite a good distribution, but SuSE is at least as good. (Since they are going to take the Deutschmark away from us, at least one thing to be proud of...).

I have not looked at the latest Debian distribution. I set up a Debian box half a year ago with almost no problems. Generally Debian is the choice for the purists, Red Hat and SuSE when you do not want to bother so much with the administration.

Johannes