Supersize that SAT score?

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Apr 5 09:35:50 PDT 2001

At 04:43 PM 4/5/01 +0000, Justin wrote:
>W, what planet are you from? Do you really think it will fix the problems of
>low scholastic acheivement of people raised in poverty by illiterate
>parents, who have no job prospects and no future, whose friends or
>girlfriends are pregnant at 14 and whose friends or boyfriend are in jail at
>16, to make the school year longer? --jks

No, but it would substantially reduce the negative impact of these environments on kids at a rather low cost. It is like malaria drugs - surely they do not eliminate unhealthy environment, but they substantially reduce the risk of getting sick and are quite cheap.

So if the choice is between a radical but expensive (=difficut to implement) or a provisional but cheap (=easy to implement) solution - my answer is "the latter." "Better" is often the worst enemy of "good" - as history documented time and again.

wojtek