Bertell Ollman on Marx & "Ethics"

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 5 10:08:26 PDT 2001

Leo says he's not aware of Marxisn, Hegelian, or other non-utilitarian or nonKantian approaches to practical ethics. Actually by "practical ethics," he seems to mean professional ethics--medical, legal, academic. Practical ethics ("ethical problems") is a much bigger area. Thus in the "founding book" of the field, Peter Singer's Practical Ethics, although Singer considers abortion and euthanasia, which some might regard as medical ethics, he also considers wealth and poverty (about which Marxists have a thing or two to say), animal rights, and lots of other topics. Singer is in any case more interested in ethics for ordinary folk than for professionals,a nd the field has followed him here. And speaking to lots of concrete questions, people with all sorts of different non-U and non-K backgrounds--Marxist, Feminist, Communitarian--have had interesting things to say about a lot of concrete issues.

As regards the narrow areas of professional ethics, I will say that legal ethics is particularly impoverished, and if people writing in the area restrict themseks to U or K, that says more about them than the poverty of the alternatives. Similarly, medical ethics as it is usually defined restricts itself to physician's and patient's individual choices; tending to define policy issues like national health as out of bounds for the area. Marxists have a term for this" ideology. There are other professional ethics issues where non-U and non-K approaches have been fruitfully used: business ethics, interestingly enough, is one where Marxists and others have made contributions, including ones using Marxian and Ollmanian notions of disalienation. My friend Tony Smith, a Hegelian Marxist, has brought hsi commitments to bear in agricultural ethics. (He teachesa t Iowa State.)

Gordon: the glib dismissal of Marx has either rejecting ethics or having not thought about it seriously is not tenable after the last 30 years, starting with Ollman's book. There is a large literature--Leo calls it small, but you could spend a long time it--on Marxian moral philosophy, and Marx's moral philosophy. I taught a seminar on thsi stuff at Ohio State, when I was teaching there.

As to Hegel, a lot of people have your reaction to him, although I love him, but to get a grip on Hegel's moral theory, read Charles Taylor's very accessible Hegel and the Modern State, a short version of his big treatise on Hegel. Allen Wood's Hegel's Ethical Thought is perhaps the main treatise in Englsih devoted directly to the subject.

Contrary to Leo's suggestions, Hegelians have a lot that is very concrete and practical to say about ethical issues that Hegel touched on: the family, law and punishment, property rights, democracy, inequality and respect, slavery and subordination, etc.

--jks