work and rhetoric

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Apr 5 12:31:17 PDT 2001

Justin Schwartz wrote:

>Hey, we got TV, what do we need night classes and political meetings
>for? Fact is, most workers, including most white collar workers,
>would probably prefer a longer workweek to night classes, reading,
>or political meetings. Especially political meetings. So where does
>that leave us?

Linder addresses this by saying that the decay of collectivist thinking and rhetoric in the labor movement leaves workers in a role of purely individualistic calculators: the money's tempting, but it comes at a big physical and emotional price. "Prefer" is a very loaded word; under the present set of rewards and punishments, yes, but shouldn't we challenge that inheritance?

Doug