European Unions

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Apr 6 07:51:54 PDT 2001

Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema writes:

>A very important point:
>
>> That confirms my long held suspicion that the US is a
> > Third World country with nuclear weapons.
>>
>> wojtek
>
>This is another way to think about the old question of the left
>about "American
>exceptionalism." The so-called consensus historians looked at the
>stability and
>lack of open class conflict in the US as a more or less positive feature. This
>was a while ago when it was possible to believe in the basic harmony of the
>American polity.

***** The backwardness of the United State working class is only a relative term.

In very many important respects, it is the most progressive working class of the world, technically and in its standard of living....

The American workers are very combative -- as we have seen during the strikes. They have had the most rebellious strikes in the world. What the American worker misses is a spirit of generalization, or analysis, of his class position in society as a whole. This lack of social thinking has its origin in the country's whole history....

<http://www.marxists.org/archive/trotsky/works/1944-fas.htm#p10> *****

Yoshie