Global Warming

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Fri Apr 6 09:06:04 PDT 2001

> I've always found the subway
> a better way of getting around town than taxis.

I'll give you a great example: I used to work in Rockafeller Center (the former Exxon Building, now just called 1251 6th). There's a subway station in the building. It goes, express, on several lines, to W 4th street (actually 2 Cornelia, corner of W 4th and 6th), where I lived. Couldn't be easier, right? But, amazingly enough, grabbing a yellow above ground gets you uptown way faster than MTA unless it's extreme rush hour or raining.

If they can't compete on a straight line with express service, how can they hope to compete for ad-hoc trips that don't follow straight lines?

You're at 1st Avenue and 47th; you want to go to West Broadway and Spring.

Good luck.

---

The NYC subway is great; don't get me wrong. But the frothing you hear about it is unwarranted.

/jordan