Baudelaire on the Flaneur (was Re: Global Warming)

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Apr 6 10:04:36 PDT 2001

Gordon wrote:
>Yoshie Furuhashi:
>> Why should we want to get around _fast_, though? Unless one is
>> driving an ambulance, that is. What we need most of the times is
>> _reliable_ transportation, not the fastest possible one.
>
>If speed is of no consequence whatever, then the most
>efficient form of transportation is to not go at all.

Speed is of consequence in some situations (e.g., medical emergencies) but not in all, _even_ under capitalism. If we reduce work hours drastically, folks probably won't value getting from A to Z at the fastest possible speed.

> > Why should we want to get around _fast_, though?
>
>Here are two views of my commute:
>
>- Walk two blocks
>- Wait for bus
>- Ride bus 1 mile [$2 r/t]
>- Walk 3 blocks
>- Wait for BART [$5.40 r/t]
>- Ride BART through Berkeley, Downtown Oakland, under the Bay,
> into San Francisco
>- Walk 9 blocks
>
>Total elapsed time: 1:20
>
>----
>
>- Drive two blocks, enter freeway
>- Drive 3 miles in carpool lane to Bay Bridge
>- Drive 5 miles on Bay Bridge [free w/ carpool]
>- Take the first exit, drive 6 blocks to parking lot [$7/day, split
> with my carpool pal, $3.50]
>
>Total elapsed time: 0:25
>
>---
>
>Saving two hours per day is a no brainer. Travelling around is fun.
>
>It's not _that_ fun.
>
>/jordan

You live too far away from work, which is a common problem under post-WW2 industrial capitalism. Separation of work from the rest of life has done damage to working-class self-organization. Even by car, which for you is a much faster choice than others, you are sitting behind the steering wheel at least 50 minutes each work day. That's too far. We should all be able to walk to work (a 20-30 minute walk to work should be good for health) if we so choose; by bus or subway or bicycle, each commute should be about 5-15 minutes.

Yoshie