European Unions

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Apr 6 10:14:03 PDT 2001

Dennis wrote:

> > The American workers are very combative -- as we have seen during the
>> strikes. They have had the most rebellious strikes in the world.
>> What the American worker misses is a spirit of generalization, or
>> analysis, of his class position in society as a whole.
>
>> Yoshie
>
>And who, pray tell, will provide this much-needed "analysis" to the ignorant
>workers of the US? Yes, you guessed it. Academia will lead the way! (Unless
>there's a conference on "Marxism and Post-post Modernism: Drawing Radical
>Blueprints for the 21st Century and Beyond." First things first.)

Yeah, you hear academics quoting Trotsky on working class militancy and consciousness all the time! I remember back in grad school, you heard folks in the English department lounge talking about it all the time. People laughed out loud when one student said he was doing a diss on Tennyson's letters. He was roundly denounced as a complicit tool of the aestheticizing bourgeoisie.

Doug